Monday, May 14, 2007

Remembering Brother Joseph.


I was 22 when I went back to Art School - notwithstanding the fact that 22 was considered as "mature" for what I was about to embark on having given up the prospect of being an architect. The first time I saw Brother Jo was when he first addressed us in the big hall. The confusing part was trying to understand how religion and art (even the controversial ones) could dwell within a man of God. I never tried to understand his impetus for the very reason that it was far too sacrilegious to even consider. I found it personally intrusive.
I can still recall being 'summoned' into his office for handing out flyers to the student population to protest against rising fees. This I did alone coz Singaporeans, being in a somewhat intellectual Nazi state, lacked personal courage in general and I have always been keen to understand prior to agreeing to anything how things will affect my personal space. The silly thing was that I had a polka dot hat and everybody knew who it was. He was actually quite benevolent - I explained my situations, my concerns and the need to not take everything by face value.
Years later when I returned to work on a project with my old alumni; I remembered him saying how proud he was that old graduates were coming back to ye ole Singapore to make a difference. The funny thing is that he never thought and ever mentioned that I was a rebel and was quite concerned that I was leaving the project at one point. He told me not to leave until the job is done.
In a strange way, I stayed because of him and drew strength from the knowledge that he never judged nor criticised my youthful distractions. So today, I give thanks to him and his strength, honesty and faith. May he rest in peace and may God watch over him always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Powered By Blogger