Thursday, June 28, 2007

What is so positive about Brotherly Love?

I don't know - maybe its me but I have reservations about the interpretation of what 'Brotherly' love is these days. In any case, sex dependent people are not restricted to heterosexuals alone and that the' community' is sometimes no better, not much more informed, nor more responsible or untouched from the cravings of lust. The reason why I am adamant that the word 'community' should be reassessed - it has too many social implications and binds us to stereotypes that feeds on itself. It transforms the nature of the gay community that is all embracing to one of being isolationist. The 'community' is always struggling even from within - building barriers and communes like blind rat packs further perpetuating the rift.

Where has this come out from? Well, I remembered sometime back, I was enticed into going to my first Mardi Gras in Sydney. I was of course under the impression that it was a dance party - people who enjoyed hard house/drum and bass music with the company of good friends. Of course, being preppy growing up, I had no spandex nor glitter to put on so a pair of jeans was the couture for the night. I have to say, it wasn't the experience I had expected because this supposed revered cultural act was no different than a heterosexual idea of bingeing on mind-bending cocktails and the indulgence of tabooed desires; in other words even Caligula would be embarassed.

And of course in my naivety, I was confronted with fuzzy-eyed, drugged up Muscle-Marys, one of which was on his knees with the other being 'blown' away on the lawn? Huh? Maybe I am a prude, but I always thought that sex is public places is more exciting when you're trying not to get caught? It was also difficult to go to the lavatories with someone lying in the trough I might add. My lack of humour at this idea may offend but hey pissing in communal areas does not equate raining down on a another physical human being. Maybe the culture I was expecting should be intelligent enough to separate expression vs the down right ludicrous? Maybe, I was just asking too much.

I came out thinking that maybe I have lost touch. Whatever happened to a good ole fashioned,"would you like to go for a coffee or dinner or a movie sometime?" I think our community have already forgotten that there is more to life than the circuit. It is very hedonistic in nature and if we do not rationalise what our culture is all about, I have a feeling that it will eventually consume itself into oblivion.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger