Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Lounge, Study and Dining...All done.


When we were working abroad, the only thing that kept us enthused and of course being able to have the comfort of good disposable income was to collect bits and pieces of things along the way. Apart from Persian carpets, books and textiles, we were also able to design our own display cabinets and have them made in China of old wood for shipping to Singapore. These were designed to fit our current abode...so they have travelled a little I guess.

Most of these rooms are hardly used....they're just too pretty and infact a great escape from the outside world. Our little hideaway really. They are also warm in colour which reflects our sensibilities. While there are those moving towards minimalism, we do not live in an apartment, so have brought the beauty back in our 1880 Victorian Villa to what it might have been when it was first built.

Hope you enjoy these pics...who knows if you are ever in town, you're always welcome to have tea with us! I'll bring out the silver I promise....

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Oh my gosh, those colors!

I like your study, the wood and books feels like home to me. If you have a couch in there I could curl up with a good book and nap.

BTW, I loved that berry/wine color in the lounge. The earth in sign in my loves deep, rich earthy colors. That's a glass table top right. I love the stand. I can not only see the Asian influence, but it looks like a few other influences in there as well. How long did it take you to put the room together?

You don't need to bring out the china, I just want some of that bread!! and I want to play with those doggies.

Anonymous said...

The rooms were put together like a travel book...we kept adding as we went along.

Most are Asian influenced apart from the MAPS,architectural drawings, insect specimens and carpets (they're more Persian) I guess. The other half lived and studied in Japan for 6 years.

It is very earthy throughout the house...you feel a sense of warmth as you step in and you can loose yourself for hours. That's what I feel anyway. They're not daunting in any way.

One of the things we are trying to do is collect artworks that can no longer be made by hand as their techniques have died out. Sad but so many beautiful things were made before the age of machinery.

We have a medical skull from India and a fresh water crocodile taxidermy. There was also a recent historical building that was torn down and we bought a 1600W globe from the hall as a display. It's hilariously huge.

Ah you'll like the bread that we've got and you won't run out of choices. And the doggies will definitely like the company.

PS All the rooms have couches!!

Powered By Blogger