Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Nikon 18-135mm DX Lens

OK I got all excited and couldn't wait for Japan. I ordered my 8GB SD HC Sandisk Ultra II card which is coming in the mail and the Nikon 18-135mm DX lens which was going cheap. I know I am going to regret it but what is done is done. From my tone of voice, I am already regretting not waiting for the VR lens.

I know that most of you will say that I'm a little generation X misguided/caught in-between generation Y geek - my partner thinks so too...he says Mr. Instant Gratification hello?! I can't deny it though... I told him that I could die tomorrow - Carpe Diem!!

So I will be looking for a shorter lens...maybe an 18-70mm VR (Vibration Reduction) rather than the 18-200mm. Sometimes I wonder why I will need a 200mm unless I am hiding in the bushes somewhere trying to catch that elusive Bald Eagle having a crap 20 miles away!! Oh yes, its poo is actually round and brown as written in the Almanac of Bird doo-doos 2007.

The good thing is that my monopod will come to good use I guess and I really don't want a mish-mash of gear that will give me sub-standard pics when I blow them up to A1 - A3. Who knows when I will need such big pictures anyway. I get a little misguided as you can see at mere potential - absurd!

But lets see what happens. I only need a Nikon D80 body now! Why am I thinking of Johnny Depp? What has that got to do with anything?

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Wow. sounds exciting. I say just do it. Can you return it if you want?

Anonymous said...

Nope it was going cheap. That should be fine...it is a consumable afterall and I'm a nutter at consuming!!

Bokonon said...

No need for regrets, I say.

You'll probably find that camera shake is really only an issue at the 200mm end, so for most occasions I doubt you'll have any problems.

I have a similar lens for my Canon (18-135) and my next lens will likely be longer (maybe 70-100 to 300-400), principally in anticipation of the bald eagle 20 miles away.

Anonymous said...

Good to know about the 18-135mm...I was worried that I got a dud but it looks to be fine now that I've spoken to a couple informed individuals. I'm just 'so into the moment' type of person these days.

Kevin...you're lovely. Keiran...see you at Womadelaide 2008! I'll bring my dancing shoes and you can bring the shotgun to put me out of my misery...LOL

Powered By Blogger