Thursday, October 04, 2007

I use to walk these streets....



I came across a picture of Koon Seng Rd in Singapore where I use to walk to school and not forgetting the corner store that touted a rather delicious popsicle for just 10cents at that time. You can almost see it...the one with the striped canopy.

Living away from home sometimes can be a very lonely affair but imagine living in one of those pre-war houses now- decadent! It takes alot to pack your life into a suitcase and move...but once awhile it is also heartwarming to be able to reminisce.

I went to an 'all boys' Presbyterian School for the very reason that they offered better than average education in the early 80s. A little Muslim boy attending Friday Mass was the talk of the town and I had to be counciled by one of the teachers for my curiosity. How odd I thought? The trouble with the whole setup was that most of the students were God-fearing Presbyterians and mostly spoke Mandarin or other Chinese derivative languages.


It was fine by me because I had an inclination to languages but the high-school experience was nothing to brag about apart from my many juvenile crushes over the Soccer team and in particular a straight classmate whom once told me 'not to indulge' in flight of fancies. I think I was intimidating as a teenager to some, I guess with my unorthodox approach to rules and regulations - they just could not understand why I was such a handful.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

What a story? I can see you in you uniform going to mass.

Powered By Blogger