Thursday, February 01, 2007

So what if I'm fat - Dolce & Gabbana still loves me.

I've been listening to http://www.ohmypod.net/ and they've been great with my IMac dilemmas and jargon crunching. Also pics of John Ong with his podcast setup at his flickr account and listening to his #200 show has somewhat changed my perception of podcasters in general.

So this is a formal thank you, thank you, thank you to Peter and Pinoyboy for being so patient. Pinoyboy you lazy sod write me!!! Peter *smile* *smile*. John stop - don't stop! I have now made up my mind to get my new IMac when OS Leopard is rolled out in Australia. It will be very interesting and I am tingled with excitement, Tingled pink I say.... fidget with the widget!!



In exchange for their generosity I bestow upon them the gift of the 4Cs in Fashion :

1. Colour
2. Cut
3. Comfort
4. Cost

Sound like a carat to me but here we go.... (hmmmm bunnies, bunneeiiissss)




Colour is very important or else we'd be born colour blind. You will need to be acutely aware of the colour of your hair, skin, eyes and what will look good on you or otherwise. Fashion always dictates seasonal colours but remember that fabric is also integral. Some colours just looks odd on certain fabric so choose wisely. Creases on linens are fine as long as they're good quality linen and remains neutral. Good linen should straighten up just by steam alone. Don't put way too much stuff in your pockets please - the hobo look is not going to cut it. Light wool or cashmere is the way to go in winter and layer forward and back - allowing you this flexibility if you are always on the move each day is a good habit to keep. Lighter wool and cashmere surprisingly keeps heat better. Its not in the size....

One of my photographer friend's advice when taking portraits is to make sure that the client is wearing solid colours which will accentuate their appearance especially if it is for a magazine shot. Solid warm colours make good photographs over light backgrounds.




Warm colours are also more suitable I believe for darker skin individuals while neutrals are better for olive skin when you're out and about - but this again relate pretty much to which continent you're in. Cheap fabric is bad on any colour! These are the two extreme circumstances but for those in the middle i.e. the chameleon skin that changes with the seasons, the mix of colours can be varied...lucky bastards.

Black is boring, safe but boring. Corduroy jackets (RL has some nice ones) are interesting - even linen ones; they come across as relaxed and sophisticated. There are different grades of velvet and good velvet will not combust on you so if you're tailoring one, the tailor will not be afraid to get a flame up close to show you the actual quality item you're buying and the reason why its $300 a metre. Good velvet don't burn.




I have found that Olive skin or light skin individuals look striking in shades of green and azure blue. This is for the very reason that it will pick up not only the colour of their eyes but that of their skin. Apart from that, there is a greyness which is apparent in big cities whereas in the tropics you can never compete against the lushness of the environs without looking like a tourist - hawaiian shirts should remain in Hawaii.

Colours in accessories are also important be it in a scarf, glove, hat or belt - remember not too many texture on coloured accessory and vice versa as it will take away the focus off your outfit - be demure not desperate and remember blend and layer. Some pucci diehards will disagree but you can't wear anything else with pucci but pucci much like Paul Smith - the men stuff are fine but still you need to be the size of a stick insect on crack to wear those.

Cut - this is key. Certain cuts are not made for you be it shoes, shirt, pants or suit. Argue as much as you can about, "oh but I look so gorjuice in that shirt!' . Walk away and come back - if you think that you will still look good in that real tight spandex jacket then buy it. Until you're ready always ask a friend to go with you. There are various cuts to Jeans these days so not all sizes are identical - some may have a slightly longer crotch, slightly higher waistline etc. Try everything before buying. Try dozens if you have to and don't be afraid to tell the staff that none of them are a real fit.


In case of suits, length is important - how it sits on the back, the cuff length, the way the stripped fabric has been sewed together and the shoulders. A good tailor will give you at least a dozen collars to choose from and cuffs too. Everything must sit right - so choose your buttons wisely and where they sit on your tum tum. Button choices also vary and you should choose those too.

I always recommend tailoring one good suit and agree with Pinoyboy about upping the casual look with a tailor made jacket - it says 'I'm happy with the way I look and I have something more to offer than just the jeans I'm wearing!" Asians also fit well in Italian cut clothes in terms of measurement and length. Get yourself a good leather jacket. It says raw but ripe. The smell of a man in a well cut leather jacket - well I don't have to explain that one ...bunnnieesss more bunnieesss....



Comfort - I have to say that I'm a victim of wearing things that looks really good but are way way too tight. So if you are going to spend $500 on a pair of shoes, make sure they really really fit with and without socks. For suits, ensure that the tailoring is spot on. I recommend a fitted suit rather than off the rack because not everyone is buffed like a mannequin with pecs the size of Tasmania or Texas - hmm Texans.... Anyway comfort is really important so choose your fabric well and get to know your tailor intimately.

One good suit is good enough. Contrary to everyone's suggestion that you should buy two sizes up coz you might gain some weight, I recommend otherwise - certain things are cheap and not worth trying to keep for 5 years for a 'just in case' moment unless it is a Zegna suit. Show your asset coz it will make you feel good about yourself. Bring SEXY back - hell just bring on the sex! Imagine watching a clump of meat looking real comfortable in a $500 moo moo? Not good. Fitted is the way to go because it says you are confident with what you're wearing whether its $5 or $500.




Cost - well this is a real touchy topic. I shop and when I shop, I shop but these days I am a spectrum shopper i.e. I buy my jeans at the prospect of it lasting more than 5 years therefore $300 a pair is good diminishing returns. I buy the same jeans in a minimum of 2 colours.

Matching them with cheaper tops gives me the luxury of a different look each day. I can go preppy, casual, nerdy, adventurous, stylish and cool all within a week by just changing my top. People only look at your crotch and ass - they won't remember the label but they will recall how everything just sits right. I buy linen/silk when I am in Asia because they're so much cheaper and of better quality - you can buy it at the cost of 5 to 1.






I buy italian shoes for work and will splurge on one big spend a year while the rest remains casual and under $100. A pair of running shoes will last me 12 months. To save money, I buy a season behind coz who cares about what people are wearing now- remember yesterday's fashion has always been today's news. Black and brown are safe but these days colours are in for shoes and so are the fabrics e.g. prada, diesel, moreschi, magli, bally and tod. One good shoe is enough - it will last you years so buy more casual shoes that are cheap and replaceable in 12 months. Get a couple of loafers as they good for dashing out of the house when you've overslept. I must recommend at least one loafer - they are indispensable.

A wardrobe makeover is still affordable and a cleanout is important to revitalise and make you a power dresser. Don't sit on anything that is older than 3 years - get it to the salvos and they will put it to good use and never ever ignore the discount rack. Keeping your closet clean helps you with your self image - a wardrobe should be progressive and ever evolving.



So here we are at the end of the 4Cs. I know it is nothing new but sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves especially when we settle down. Life is so hurried that we ignore the fact that we are beautiful people and looking like Nosferatu is not helping - gaultier aside.


So remember - Sex & Fashion is nothing without you! You bloody tell them what you want now mister and make sure they work hard for your money!! If not, you can always get your own personal stylist - just make sure he's hot.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger