Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Focusing on what's important...



Today I've received 2 emails from people that matters. Thank you both - you know who you are. Sometimes I sit down and think how we tend to be irresponsible with the connections we make with others. People say, "how can I keep up?" Simple - just take care of a few and make sure that you never take them for granted. And never over-extend yourself.

I was listening to John Ong (http://www.onglinepodcast.com/) and I gather displacement is a very big issue with people whom has decided to move with their partners abroad. Often a little understanding goes a long way, but can be futile at times to explain when the big 'D' hits you, why no one seems to see the obvious look on your face. Sometimes people are made that way - idiotic and emotionally inapt so we provide the crutch they need - but then you ask, "what about me?"

It is not easy picking up your bag, leaving behind all those memories of places that matters to you, the familiarity of sights and sounds plus trying to start all over again somewhere foreign. The fact that we have entrepreneurial aspirations back home does not help our case either. So, we have to draw strength from someone, we gather, but if we ourselves are vulnerable, it will come to a head eventually. It makes us human and the process humbling.

I've long decided to leave my old self back in Singapore and move forward with the new me now that I am in Australia. After all this while, it is still a work in progress. I believe the journey will give me the strength I need so I am focusing on what's important.

The big D is therefore an enemy you know and as the saying goes, "keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" and face it head-on.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger