Monday, July 23, 2007

Why cities like New York shadows over you!


I remembered the first time I had landed at JFK. I was there for work - colleagues were up at Mt. Kisco and I couldn't get into any of the hotels because it was such short notice. So I ended up staying at the New Yorker because I wanted nostalgia, being a romantic, rather than the Hyatt or Marriott for convenience. I was also hoping not to have to deal with anyone else from the office staying in the same hotel . Bright lights causes me anxiety - not really but I was just not in the mood for any neon-inspired experience or dining with people that I didn't want to hang out with.




The immigration guy at the counter was really sweet and somewhat hot. I had accidentally filled in the wrong section on my entry papers - apparently we had the benefit of a Visa waiver for Singaporeans at that time and I had filled in all these form just in case. I apologised, he smiled, I nearly flipped and said thank you - he smiled again. Another missed opportunity! Then everything went pear-shaped when I had a NY cabby take me to the hotel - he was Pakistani and just didn't like the prospect of not being tipped. Charity goes both ways mate!

That evening I thought I'd take a walk to Times Square and after a 5 minutes stroll, I had a strange feeling that I was being followed. Of course, I looked all out of sorts, Asian, small - all rugged up because it was autumn and talking on my cellphone because I needed human contact. The rumours of being mugged and helpless was always at the back of my mind. I blame it on the idiot box. What a dead giveaway...I should have stayed at the Marriott!



So, I circled around along Fashion Avenue and then Broadway and ended up in a line at Burger King - not too sure where I was then. The toweringly huge thuggish man had also lined up and when it was convenient I slipped away while he was still caught in the line looking all missed-opportunity like. I took another stroll around the area and told myself maybe it is best to do it in daylight; then headed back to the Hotel like a scared little gnome.



Jet lag had set in by then and I was supposed to be @ Mt. Kisco by 10am the next day for the Boss's limo to pick me up but I started strolling at 7am after breakfast towards Grand Central Station. The thing about New York is how vulnerable you can feel when you know no one and how small things are in relation to the size of the buildings including people. Its like an ants' nests with series of tributaries all leading somewhere and nowhere - purposeful franticism (if there is such a word).



People in cities like New York I suppose becomes more more detached from their surroundings. This is similar to Singapore and Japan but magnified! You get accustomed and numbed by it all. People can get 'lost'. I walked and walked almost intuitively since everything was in a grid and ended up at the flower district not far from the station. OK - by now my intuition was failing me coz direction was never one of my forte! Delivery trucks were everywhere...all picking up tonnes of flowers I suppose for the hotels and restaurants in the city. That was when I felt a sense of relief - the aroma of fresh cut flowers. Finally something I could relate to. The day went on excellently thereafter and it was just day one. Fond memories...

2 comments:

Kevin said...

wow, that brings back memories.

When I first moved to NYC I was overwhelmed. The buildings and people during rush hour in midtown stressed me out. I would get home after work and be exhausted. It took about three months or so to get used to it.

I love it now and don't know another city I would move to besides London.

Anonymous said...

London's very wet and winter is dreadful at the moment. The guys are cute though and you're only an hour away from Europe. I remembered meeting a south african chap that had green eyes with a tinge of violet. He lit up in the dark literally. People can be quite cold to outsiders....

Contemplated studying in the UK but met the love of my life and moved to OZ instead giving up a place at Central St Martins! The things you do for love.

All my friends are still there!

Powered By Blogger