Sunday, September 16, 2007

And I cough and I cough, and I cough till...



Maybe I am a hypochondriac but the hay fever is back compounded by the nasty cough that I have yet to recover from made for a rather unbearable night. So I was wide awake having a cup of tea @ 15 to midnight - trying to ease the searing pain emanating from the Vick's vapour rub therapy gone wrong and the itch that nearly unbolted my eyeballs from its sockets - I had unwisely tuned into " MY HUSBAND IS GAY!" on Lifestyle. Apparently as many as 20% of the male gay population take a wife before coming out.




It was a rather confusing episode that left me with mixed feelings. Morality is a funny creature and how you see the world varies quite substantially depending on how, in actual fact, the people around you feel about your relationship. The women seemed resolute, bitter and some devastated by the whole affair. Others pretended to appreciate the honesty but deep down inside, the experience have left them scarred. It was paralysing. On the whole, only one man was remorseful and less selfish but the rest were your typical Brighton by-product; befitting the new Ford car ads recently seen on TV.

Juxtaposing this with watching "Gehenna" from the Millennium Season 1 episode an hour earlier, I came to understand that indoctrination and the wish to please can be a fatal human flaw. Most of the men married because they were compelled as it were by their socio-economic background and the pressure society held on them growing up. It reminded me of some form of self-inflicted / afflicted disability (i.e. projection). It was a rather shallow documentary but maybe that is what marriage sometimes become - always take your actions to a good place without hurting anyone in the process (selfish that it may be). That has always been my motto.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

This came on BBC America a lil bit ago. It was forgettable, but I remember not liking it too much.

Oprah sometimes had a string of those shows about the poor wife who was clueless about her husband's deception...

come on. Those women didn't trust their instincts. Deep down they knew something, but being married was more important.

Powered By Blogger