Tuesday, September 25, 2007

At the suggestion of a friend...



At the suggestion of a friend, I am getting a copy of "Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri. I have been reading the first chapter...Google books are bad!!

I have to say that the writing is light therefore it will be breeze to get through but like many cross-cultural interpretations of post-modern life, I expect many a juxtaposition of characters and not to mention, flaws and strengths with a blatant devotion to the sensitivities of the Mind. Spoken vs. Implied.

I have to say that I am a man of subtle extremes the reason why my wanton 'emotions' are locked away securely in my psyche. I dread watching TV these days preferring to scour the internet for discourse. My greatest fear is to be mindless and when that time comes, I know it is time to go.

When I was younger, I've always been reading and have at one point in time adored the idea of working as a librarian. I thank my eldest sister for that, whom showered me with so many books though the love was not instantaneous. After a long stint of volunteering throughout my education at various libraries, I came to realise how my romanticised view have somewhat been dulled by the realities of the job.

In fact, I had very little time to read nor appreciate the etched knowledge in its abundance because reading was not part of the job description. I suppose if you're an archivist then a librarian is where you will find solace in this rather monotonous cycle of stocking and re-stocking or that limited edition signed copy of whatever. If reading is what you're after, being a pragmatist is your only viable option... spend some cash and get on with it. Being around books is just that - being!

Thank you Pinoyboy for the recommendation. I will keep you posted...

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Google books...hmmmm...I might have to use that in the future.

Tom said...

Google books...hmmmm...I might have to use that in the future.

Powered By Blogger