Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My first week in Sydney...years ago.

I still remember the first week like it was yesterday. The hubby was out at work and I thought that it would be a good idea if I made my own way into the city hoping for some sun and a cup of hot latte by a park somewhere. We had a very nice townhouse in Neutral Bay, conveniently located near the bus and ferry...easing us from the burden of driving or owning a car. I had 4 months before term began and thought venturing out on my own will at least provide me with a mental map of the city.

Autumn weather can be quite unpredictable, so I rugged up and carried a brolly with me just in case and within 5 minutes out the door, stood waiting infront of the obscure chemist bus-stop peering at the sign indicating when the next bus would arrive. I told myself that I am no longer a tourist. Cocky?

The thing about Singapore is that travelling is so accessible and brainless that you literally know where you're heading without having to invest in any verbal commitment with fellow travellers. I felt a little daunted by the whole affair of timetables, express, single, multiple trips etc. etc. but told myself how difficult can it be? It is an English speaking nation afterall. We have tap cards for everything so they should have one too...wrong!

The articulated bus made a rather sudden stop and opened its doors. Being unsure whether it was the bus heading into the city, I walked towards the driver and enquired whether this was the bus that will take me into the city. The response I had was pretty shocking and will need to be dialogued:

Hadi: Sorry, I was wondering whether this is the bus into the city?
Bus Driver: Are you fucking blind or something mate? Can't you bloody read?

I couldn't believe it. I had always thought that racism was something made up by Australian-hating xenophobes but at that time I was slightly sensitive to such rudeness and now realise that it was just plain rudeness and nothing else. I stayed home for the rest of the week and told the hubby when he got home as to the event of the day. I was devastated and started taking the ferry thereafter preferring the harbour view than the awkwardness I felt that very first week living in Sydney.

One of the many things I've learnt since coming to Australia is that people will walk all over you if you seem to be at a disadvantage. While Asian societies are communal, Western societies are geared towards selfishness. If you allow yourself to be burdened by your Asianness and let people ignore your upbringing, then you will be isolated and disanchanted - Displaced! Tax paying individuals have every right to walk the streets, when and where they want to without any fear of retribution.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Amen! New York City is similar. When I moved to New York about seven years ago, I had a similar experience.

I found you have to be assertive and stand up for yourself. I call people on their behavior. I find that shuts people up more than yelling or being disrespectful back.

City life...it's an adventure.

Powered By Blogger