Sunday, January 20, 2008

Time to Tweak...



I've been busy looking at camera settings to understand the type of image that I want to achieve. Often we rely so much on Auto that we forget our DSLR has many other functions... I hardly have my camera set on Auto these days preferring P, A, M - learning how to push the boundaries and the limitations of my D80.

The ability to take multiple shots without fearing that I'll be running out of space is also a great boon. I can then edit out as much as I like and retake the pictures again and again until I feel that I've got the best shot.



So here are a couple of settings that I've set myself out to accomplish in the next couple of days:

1. Portraiture in Landscapes
1/500, F8, ISO 200, Polariser Lens with SB600

2. Portrait
1/500 @f8/f10, SIO 200, Polariser Lens with SB600

3. Poor lit areas
1/500, F11, -1 Flash compensation with SB600.


The strobist.com is also a great site that is helping a little to refine my skills. Here is an example of what I mean:



I've also gone through Joe McNally lighting CD which is totally crap. It is purely a marketing exercise for the SB800 and SB600 without really teaching you the complexity of multiple light source + exposure techniques. Just goes to show that at the end of the day, the amateur photographers are better at what they're talking about because they never give up trying or learning for that matter.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger