Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Is it Christmas in Adelaide??



I have to profess that I am an early Christmas shopper. Adelaide on the other hand takes its time... while in Singapore, the whole entire Orchard Rd will be abuzzed with happy faces and we have the opposite at Rundle Mall (did someone just died?) This is a picture taken at around 6pm on a Thursday... outside of Starbucks. It was pretty sad especially if you are used to a little nocturnal shopping; decorations galore - the council must be making squillions!

Not too sure why but I have this strange feeling that the labour government have hired the same architects across all states - those grey tiles are just a dead giveaway. That was the first thing I found about Adelaide - people are passionate but far too moderate. Change is hard for them to cope and everything seems to be a battle. It takes a long time for them to adjust...must be the heat. But then again, the upside is that people tend to have a life after 6pm where in big cosmopolitan cities, time is money. I can't begrudge them for that since I am now a certified Adelaidian! God save me....

One of the good things about walking around with a camera is what you might get to see - it is usually things that will surpise you with "where's that camera when you need one?" moments. Adelaide hides itself from the casual eye you see - it is very elusive therefore it is always good to catch it with its pants down!

The beauty has to be experienced though so always look up while in Adelaide as much as you can. You will discover a whole new world when you do. Often, people are too busy talking and watching their feet but if you just stand still for a moment, you might just catch a glimpse of beauty. I recommend also looking people in the eye or make at least some eye contact. It makes the stroll less arduous especially catching a glimpse of that quizzical look of 'do I know you?' when they really don't. It puts them in a spot....can be quite humourous. Always good for a personal laugh (insane, I know) but people are strange...

This particular side street which I can't recall which is also filled with surprises. This entire wall was infact covered with toy cars. Very cheeky - made me smile at least especially when it was in a dilapidated carpark. Who'd guess someone had a good idea?

So have a stroll around Adelaide if you have the chance. If you're into shopping then I recommend visiting Melb or Sydney instead but if you're interested in a big country town atmosphere then I welcome you to Adelaide. Have a good trip and we will warm up to you. It will just take a little time....


No comments:

Powered By Blogger